DIY: Make Chocolate Gelato At Hom
15 Feb 2016
Bring the treasure of an ice creamery to you with our simple and mouth-watering guide for how to make chocolate gelato at home. But beware Chocolate lovers…we warn the results are ravishing.
What You'll Need
First, keeping in mind that this recipe is intended to serve 8 people so if you're looking to cater for a bigger crowd then adjust the below ingredients where relevant.
- 1 Litre Milk (4 cups)
- 165g Caster Sugar (3/4 cup)
- Cocoa (3/4 cup)
- Cornflour (2½ tablespoons)
- Electric Beater
It's also important to remember that when it comes to making a successful chocolate gelato, we want to achieve a rich taste. The key here is to ensure you choose an exceptional quality cocoa.
- Gather your sugar, cocoa and cornflour, then whisk altogether into 1 cup of milk - this has now become your chocolate mixture.
- Use a saucepan to collect the leftover milk, and take this to the boil.
- Return to your chocolate mixture, pour your leftover milk from your saucepan on top of this, and stir to mix it altogether.
- Place your mixture back into your saucepan and turn your stove on low-medium heat.
- Stir your saucepan over low-medium heat until you see your mixture has thickened - typically, this should take between 8-10 minutes.
- Now thickened, pour your mixture into a container, preferably shallow-sized, and place it into your freezer for at least one hour. Note: do not remove your container from your freezer until you can see your mixture is frozen at the edges. Depending on your refrigerator, this could take longer than an hour.
- Now frozen at the edges, remove your container from the freezer.
- Beat your mixture using an electric beater until your gelato is both soft and smooth.
- Pour your gelato back into the container and continue to freeze it again for another hour (remembering it's only ready to remove when it's frozen at the edges).
- Repeat steps 8-9 approximately 2-3 times until your gelato is firm for of course, the most divine result!